Search This Site

Event Photos: Cruise Nights

August 27, 2010

I know so far my posts don't look like it, but I do enjoy photographing beyond portraits. 

From time to time, I like going to (mostly old) car gatherings -- aka cruise nights. There are always some unique cars out there and interesting details abound. I especially like seeing the vehicles from the 20s, 30s, and 40s. It's a slice of history. Plus it's always nice to see people take care of their stuff. Pretty much every car appears to be in great condition. And the best part of all -- no one minds you taking photos.

While parked cars don't blink during photos or suddenly move (usually), they present their own set of challenges. Sometimes you're limited in how close or far away you can be and still get a clear shot. Sometimes it's difficult to find a place to stand where you don't show up in a reflection. Sometimes it means standing in really awkward positions while members of the general public stare at you. All the same, it can be a lot of fun.

As the summer cruise nights season is drawing to a close, I wanted to share a few of my favorite photos from the events:


I always take a look inside. The detailing in there tends to be just a cool as the outside. Being a design aficionado, I'm usually looking for use of color, lines, and the ordering of the dashboard. Personal touches are always appreciated too.


I think I'm also amazed that all of these are still in drivable condition.


I just noticed a lot of these cars are red. It really pops though, doesn't it? (Nod.)




There we go. That one's not red. It matched the sky though. Color-coordination with weather conditions is not a requirement for me to photograph a non-red car though. :)


Cruise nights bring together people of all ages.


Did I mention unique cars? Slices of history?



Seriously, these things are a detail haven.


You will not find such a detailed brake light on a regular car today. Nor will you find one so small. 
Nor one that includes a lion. (I'm pretty sure.)

I don't know the owners of any of these cars, but thank you to them for sharing them with the public this summer.

Kristin takes photos... this time of cars.

©2010 Kristin Serna This post and these photos cannot be republished without my permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

© 2010-2016 Kristin Serna. Do not copy or re-use any content without permission.