You may have noticed the banner on this blog says "photojournalistic lifestyle photography." Maybe you wondered what I mean by that. Well... either way, I'm going to answer it for you.
I'm an observer. Some people mistake it for quietness. Although I do like to sit in silence, noticing the details and watching how everything fits together.
Sometimes I watch that through my lens. And I capture what I see.
For food, places, and events, I like seeing how things have played out. I like noticing someone had the forethought to plate food in an artful way.
I admire that someone took the time and had the skill to carve that shape into stone.
I like capturing that moment of joy - no matter how big or small.
I say photojournalistic instead of photojournalism because while a large part of what I do is grab how things were in that moment, I'm not beyond giving a little direction for a portrait (unless it's of a building - they're rather stubborn). Sometimes the occasion just calls for it. Sometimes a person looks into your camera at just the right time.
The lifestyle part comes in with the location. It's what helps round out the story. For kids especially it also brings a certain comfort and lets them really just be themselves. My moving subjects can run, jump, and play. And I can freeze them for their loved ones and their older selves.
The world is in constant motion. Sometimes it's just nice to hold on to a moment.
©2010 Kristin Serna This post and these photos cannot be republished without my permission.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.