Search This Site

Podcasts That Bring Me Joy (Thank You, Nathan Fillion)

December 9, 2011

Back in January of 2011 Nathan Fillion recommended this new podcast to me. Despite never having met the man, I am sure this recommendation was in fact for me as he wrote it, I read it and I hear we like similar things. Plus he was once (and forever shall be) Captain Malcolm Reynolds. So really no further explanation is needed (unless, in fact, it is – and in that case http://lmgtfy.com/?q=malcolm+reynolds).

So the podcast – it's called The Thrilling Adventure Hour and it's done in the style of old time radio serials (including the part where it is performed in front of a live audience). Basically it embodies the past and the present all in the framework of what I lovingly refer to as modern retroism with a dollop of tongue-in-cheek comedy. They have a rotating set of shows with new episodes available every Monday via iTunes and over on Nerdist.

My favorites are Sparks Nevada: Marshall on Mars (for its wit and vague reminiscence of Futurama), Beyond Belief (for its serious silliness and dead-on tribute to William Powell and Myrna Loy à la Nick and Nora Charles from The Thin Man series) and Jefferson Reid: Ace American (for its WWII-propaganda hyperbole and, oh yes, Nathan-Fillion-as-Jefferson-Reid-ness).

And now I present to you my homage to the radio I would have listened to these on if Steve Jobs hadn't invented iPods.



©2011 Kristin Serna This post and these photos should not be republished without my permission. Merci beaucoup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

© 2010-2016 Kristin Serna. Do not copy or re-use any content without permission.