Search This Site

What to Wear: Family Portraits

October 7, 2013


It's a great time of year for family photo sessions and if you're wondering what to wear to yours I don't recommend outfits that match. I recommend outfits that go

In the vast history of family portraits, there have been many done where everyone in the family is wearing the same thing. But honestly, how often does your family dress like that? To have the best real representation of your family, choose a few colors that go together and then wear clothes that you feel like yourself in. You'll see the outfits I've picked above are all centered around blue, teal, and black.

Words on shirts are iffy. You don't want to have the words be a distraction in the photo and there's always the chance that leaning or bending could make for a less-than-ideal new letter arrangement. Proceed with caution. 

Patterns can be tricky too. It's best to limit the number of people in the photo wearing them. I'd say no more than half your group. Textures are fantastic.

I pulled the group of outfits above from the Women's, Men's, Girls', & Boys' Outfits We Love sections on Old Navy's website to show a combo that goes. If you're looking for ideas of what to wear many retailers show a few outfits they've put together on their website like this. Of course, you don't have to buy new clothes for your portrait session, but if you wanted to it'd be easy enough to get an entire outfit in one place. 


©2013 Kristin Serna. Graphic design assembled by Kristin. This post should not be republished without my permission. Merci beaucoup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

© 2010-2016 Kristin Serna. Do not copy or re-use any content without permission.